WPTA CEU In-Services
Monroe has created a 4-hour course to orient physical therapists and assistants on the training and care of amputees. The course is readily applicable to real-world therapy and has been approved for CEUs by the WPTA.
Physical Therapy Amputee Protocol
This course is designed to give physical therapists and PT assistants a more complete understanding of the amputee rehabilitation process. During the four lectures and two labs, amputees wearing artificial limbs demonstrate various stages of gait and gait abnormalities.
The lectures include:
- Prosthetic Overview. Our objective is to assist physical therapists and PT assistants in providing a comprehensive therapy program for lower extremity amputees. We will introduce therapists to a process of prosthetic gait training, and help them to outline goals for their individual patients
- Lower Extremity Evaluation Guide (Initial Assessment). We will review and discuss a template for an evaluation guide that uses aspects of care critical to evaluate and plan treatment for lower extremity amputees.
- Review of Gait Characteristics, Sagittal Plane Gait. Our focus is on sagittal plane gait mechanics as they relate to limb prosthetics.
- Rehab Progression, Typical Rx Routine. We will review a template for progressing an amputee from amputation to post-surgical day 21 of the rehab process.
The labs consist of:
- Trans-Tibial Gait Training. A trans-tibial amputee demonstrates use of a prep prosthesis. The fit and alignment of the device is altered and the gait defects evaluated. Therapists will understand how alignment and fit alter gait.
- Trans-Femoral Gait Training. A trans-femoral amputee demonstrates use of a prep prosthesis. The fit and alignment of the device is altered and the gait defects evaluated. Therapists will learn how alignment and fit alter gait.
If you have questions or would like additional information on our WPTA CEU In-Services, please fill in the areas below and we will contact you within a few days.
The course is taught by Ken Uebele, PT, CP, and Kristi Smeaton, MS, CP. You can contact either Ken or Kristi at Monroe BioTechnology for future course dates.
920-435-3002 or Toll Free: 1-800-522-3002
“I thought the in-service was very beneficial. I think a lot of information was presented in a very understandable way. I like the idea that they were open for suggestions and that they would be available for resource.”
– An In-Service Attendee